Holy Toledo, traveling is expensive!! The planes, hotels, food, entertainment… it adds up so fast. We both know you worked REALLY hard to go on this vacation. So it can be super temping to try and save a few bucks however you can – even on a $20 travel insurance bill. That could be the cost for an entire experience! Do you really need to buy travel insurance?
Well, that depends! I’m a huge advocate of buying it after that time I almost didn’t. But you don’t want to buy it if you don’t NEED to.
Surprise! You may already have travel insurance!
Take a look at your Work Group Benefits plan and see if that offers anything. Your credit card or other member benefits plans could also be helpful. Just take a look at what it actually covers you for before you leave; they likely won’t cover you in countries currently on the Canadian travel advisory list and there may be other limitations that surprise you. Learn more in our article on What to Know Before Buying Travel Insurance.
No one wants to be pressured into buying something. So, rather than telling you why I think it’s important, ask yourself these questions:
- How safe is the Country you’re going to? Check out the BC Gov Travel Advisory. Keep in mind, many travel insurance plans exclude certain countries and have other limitations.
- What’s your plan if you get sick while you’re there? Plan for anything from a cold to critical illnesses (heart attack, picking up a disease, etc.)
- If you break your leg, can your trip continue?
- What if your body decides now is the time to tell you you have a health concern? It happened to me!
- If you were in a car accident and ended up in the hospital, could you afford the bill?
- If you die while you’re there, your body will need to be processed and transported back. That costs thousands of dollars even for neighboring countries. Could your family afford that?
- What’s your plan if you get sick and the airline won’t let you on the plane until you’re healthy?
Now, of course, none of this is going to happen to you 😉
But, if you’re concerned that it could, go ahead and get travel insurance. You can’t get it once you need it!
If you’re under 60, it’s quite affordable. You’ll be offered a lot of options from coverage for the concerns above (Emergency Medical Coverage) to trip cancellation insurance, baggage insurance, and many more.
Looking for travel insurance? Give us a call!
Happy Travels 💃🕺
More Like This...